Thursday, September 27, 2007

Bank ? Yes! Yes, on the last day of first term mid-semester exams.

Samiksha,

I know that you avoid judging me, and also know that this is exactly what I like about you...
But....for the non Samikshas reading this (for whatever reason especially when you re not jobless!)
here is a sincere request....please continue reading this post (again for whatever reason you started reading!)..please continue reading pretending that you havent read my previous post "This is it!..."..

In fact, I do reconsider some elements of that previous post of mine...People are people eventually..and they have many dimensions to their personalities...
While some of them could put one off...some things that people do can take you by surprise....completely...Like as if the very intention was to sweep you off your feet...No dramas here..Just little nice things that friends can do for you...

Ok..before it gets confusing and boring..lemme come to the point..
We had the last of our mid semester exams today...and quite a few people didnt sleep at all last night/this morning..They were up doing the accounting paper which was an open book/take home paper..to be submitted today...The lucky me was amongst the few who did sleep...so what if it was for only three hours..

Now, there is this private bank that had come recruiting for summer internships...They had earlier called resumes for their "Operations" profile for which interviews were to be held this morning...When they arrived here last evening, they opened up another profile which they called "Business Planning/Analysis"....They called for resumes for this second profile at 7 in the evening, setting a deadline of 12 am today (Sep 27th) before which resumes had to be sent..

Now, this is recipe for disaster...I mean..personally...with an accounting paper submission ahead, I sat and thought and thought and thought..And then I thought about it some more....The "drafts" in my Gmail would have an email, including my resume as attachment...waiting ready..to be sent just in case I decide to apply..The clock strikes 12 and I dont apply after making a list of "reasonable" reasons....

First, why would someone ask for "toppers" resumes to be sent...I am sorry...I admit and confess to having a few..in fact quite a few things against toppers...And this despite being a topper myself..Would excuse me if it was way back in class 10? Can I argue that I was way too innocent? ;-)

Anyways...focus on toppers was on the reasons...Misleading terms describing the profile lead to some misinterpretations on my behalf...Anways...the presentation, given by a senior manager/executive and the Vice President (HR) was both impressive and promising..
And it was convinving enough for me to try and apply....
Why does this happen to me you ask?
Blame it on my stupid habit of thinking about everything...Thinking way too much about everything in the name of "Giving it a thought" ;-)
So, I would apply, not sure if I would even be interviewed...
And then I am interviewed...and for some reasons unknown to me...I am selected!
I really dont know what they (this bank - the VP HR), or anyone for that matter who interviews me, sees in me!
I would like to interview myself some day...Recruitment mistakes do happen...But as an interviewer, I would definitely not recruit myself! I would be able to clearly see through the idiot this other me/alter ego if mine is...

Anyways, they said Yes. I said Yes. And it was all over in a matter of hours...
May to November next year will have to be spent in Delhi, with no one from this B school for company...
I am still wondering about the assessment...all of which happened in 2 interviews totalling less than 15 minutes...
How can some assume/conclude that I would be able to do "Business Planning/Analysis"....
I only hope to prove those assumptions right! ;-)

No comments: